Side Screen Restoration

The side screens in my car were in original but very deteriorated condition as shown in the pictures below

Side Screen Restoration Side screen

The side screen frames made from D-section tube were in quite decent condition and shape.I sandblaster the frames and painted them black. The sceet metal paltes inside the screens were obviously originaly non-painted and they were so rusted that I needed to fabricate new plates.

Side Screen Restoration Side Screen Restoration

The side screens are attached to the fixtures on the top edge of the door with conical peg on the bottom edge of the screen. The fixture parts were in good condition because they are chromed brass parts. However the chromed steel pegs were badly rusted so I fabricated new pegs from stainless steel.

Side Screen Restoration Side Screen Restoration

Because of the bad condition of the side screens it was in many places difficult to figure out how the fabric has been sewn on top of the sheet metal plates inside the side screens. I made some paper templates to find correct shape for the different flaps on the screens.

Side Screen Restoration Side Screen Restoration

Sewing of the double duck fabric was quite an effort because the material is so thick. It was also challenging to sew just outside the sheet metal plate insede the fabric, as required in multiple places on the screens. 

Side Screen Restoration Side Screen Restoration Side Screen Restoration

The original toughened windows were in good condition, thy just needed proper cleaning. However the chromed brass window channels were corroded. I fabricated new channels fron stainless steel. Getting the channel lengths and corner miters correct was bit challenging but after several trial fittings I got then adjusted correct. I alse made new pull tabs for the screens.

Side Screen Restoration Side Screen Restoration Side Screen Restoration

Restored side screens. Looks pretty decent.

Side Screen Restoration Side Screen Restoration

Image Gallery Tree

JoomlaStats Activation